Shalakya Tantra Department
Shalakya tantra is one of the eight branches of Ayurveda that includes the diseases of Eye, Ear, Nose, Throat and Oro-dental (urdhva jatrugata vikaaras).This department offers teaching and training modules in Ophthalmology, Oto-rhino laryngology and dentistry as well.
Moreover it deals with the treatment of Eye, Ear, Nose, Throat and Oro-dental by traditional systems like Kriya kalpas and different surgical methods.
Knowledge of Shalakya enables the students to be an expert in Shalakya tantra. It helps them to become excellent clinician, knowledgeable surgeons, good teachers & scientists with an investigative mind.The teachers train the students to gain best judgment & clinical insight and skilled hands to perform good surgeries. To achieve this, we equip the students with sound knowledge of various aspects of Shalakya tantra.
The department performs minor surgeries and para-surgical procedures in mini operation theatre. Minor surgeries include chedana karma, lekhana karma, bhedana, jalookavacharanam, sira vedhan, kuttanam, prachanam. In the OPD section other procedures like anjanam, aschotanam, pari-shekam (Netra Dhavanum), karnapooranam, epilation, bidalak, etc. are performed.
In ENT section tuning fork test, wax removing, aural syringing, foreign body removal, etc. are carried out.
Varieties of clinical tests are executed in the OPD with the aid of instruments like ophthalmoscope, otoscope, tuning fork, slit lamp, bull’s lamp, and Torch test. Vision is examined with the help of Snellen’s, near vision chart, Ischihara Chart for color vision, Autorefraction, Retinoscopy, Tonometry, Keratometry, Sac syringing, A-scan, 4 Dot test for general assessment of Squint, fluorescein test for assessment of Corneal abrasions, Rose Bengal Test, Schirmer Test for dry eye assessment. Dark room for refraction is set up in the hospital.
In the IPD section tarpanam, putapakam, nasyam, siro pichu, siro basti, siro dhara, karna dhupan, kavala, gandush, padabhyanga, patta bandhanam, etc. are performed as per the requirment.
Clinical training is regular and the department has records of successfully treating RP, Glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, Hypertensive retinopathy, sinusitis, myopia, headache, optic atrophy, nasal polyps, aural polyps, Hearing loss, etc.
The department has a collection of charts, models and specimens. The department has a research credit of chronic suppurative otitis media (poothikarna), Chronic Rhinitis, Viral Conjunctivitis, Pterygium, and Jaloka Avcharana in Anjannamika.
- To teach the students the Ayurvedic as well as modern perspectives regarding urdhva jatrugata vikaaras.
- To educate the students to turn into an open minded researcher, an efficient teacher, an able clinician and a life and sight giving surgeon.
- To train the students in various surgical diseases and their management and assist them to become committed Ayurvedic Surgeon.
- To instruct and master Ayurvedic kriyakalpas viz. tarpan, putapaka, anjana, pariseka, etc.
- To carry out research oriented study and practical training of kriyakalpas.
- To become highly efficient in the pre & post operative treatments & measures.
- To learn the basic skills of surgery and gain the “Asammoha Shastravaidya Lakshanam”.
- To acquire the most difficult but the most important skill of judgment and decision-making in clinical practice.
Departmental Features :
03 independent OPDs for- Netra (Eye), Karna-Nasa-Mukha (E.N.T), and Danta (Orodental).
A self-sufficient well equipped O.T. for Shalakya tantra.
Special Ayurvedic treatment is available for many chronic and common diseases e.g. for dry eye/computer vision syndrome- Netra tarpana, Aschyotana, for Karna srava- Karna dhupan, etc.
Many eye camps like cataract surgery are conducted successfully that helps the students to gain more knowledge.